With our new summer 2017 range just coming out, we interviewed our talented swimwear designer Angelique and talked about her inspiration and why she does such an amazing job.
First thing you do in the morning?
Have a cup of tea and go outside, rain hail or shine. Daylight clears my sleepy fog
Main inspiration behind your design work?
Me. I know it sounds funny but I believe in trusting your intuition and if I like a feel or trend I will usually go for it. I trust my commercial eye.
Why did you choose to design swimwear and what’s so special about it to you?
Being an Australian and living by the beach, you understand the impact of good swimwear. In summer we pop our suits on in the morning and they may stay on us all day. They have to be comfortable, supportive and flattering to a hundred different body shapes all the while staying on trend. What a challenge. I love it!
If you weren’t a swimwear designer what you would be?
I would have probably ended up in photography, I love the creative process of reproducing different moods and concepts for projects.
What is the greatest lesson being a designer has taught you so far?
- Do one thing at a time
- Ask questions
- Dismiss nonsense
- Accept change
- Admit mistakes
- Be calm
How do you treat yourself, unwind and recharge?
Standing alone on top of a mountain will always bring me back to reality, that and music.
What motivates you? What are your passions? Motivation?
I don’t like to lose, as for passion, it’s a love for life & every crazy thing it throws at us.
Lastly a few quick ones:
- ONE PIECE OR BIKNI? Public = one piece secluded = bikini
- YOUR DAILY UNIFORM? My go to pieces that have stood the test of time would have to my many pairs of ripped, torn and battered baggy boyfriend jeans.
- SIGNATURE FRAGRANCE? Channel Allure
- IN YOUR FRIDGE RIGHT NOW? Chai pudding & old pizza, it’s the Ying and Yang of fridges.
- CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT? I Cherish my network of friends and family, who wants to be a lonely Bob.
- IF YOU WERE ON AN ISLAND WHAT 3 THINGS WOULD YOU TAKE? Sundae my Daughter, Chase my son and the love of my life Matus.